Sunday, March 4, 2018

ペースメーカー  A Pacemaker

A Pacemaker

“Stop using the smartphone. I’m scared,” the man next to me said.

He and I were sitting on a subway priority seat for the aged, pregnant, or disabled people. He was around 40 years old, and was a large stout-looking man.

“I’m sorry,” I said to him.

When I had sat on it a moment before, I had noticed that he was placing his right palm on his chest. I wondered if he had a weak heart, but apparently he had a pace-maker implanted.

When the subway stopped at the next station, a woman stood in front of him, using a smartphone. My neighbor immediately told her not to use it. She bowed to him apologetically and stopped using it. Whenever the train stopped and one or two passengers stood near him using smartphones, he said to them, “Don’t use that around me.” Once when he asked a young man to stop using the gadget, he ignored his request and continued using it. So my neighbor stood up and told him to stop doing so again. The young man turned around. He was listening to the i-phone music with earphones. He took off one of them from his ear, comprehended his request and stopped using the phone.

I sympathized with him, because I myself have irregular heartbeat and take a pill every morning.

Worrying about the malfunction of his pacemaker whenever he takes trains or buses may be bad for his heart, I am afraid.

I have resolved that I would not use my smartphone near priority seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment