Friday, June 28, 2024

喧しいにもほどがある Fed up with Noise

 喧しいにもほどがある


Fed up with Noise    

In Japan it is said that three women make an unbearable chattering noise. In my case, the number was seven. That means I suffered from more than double unbearable noises.

   The cause of the intolerable buzz was seven old women, all seemingly more than 75 years old. All my four-day trip with my wife to Komagane Highlands in Nagano prefecture were ruined by their clattering, chattering, irritating noises. They talked about everything and anything. Things they saw, things they bought, things they missed, things they ate, places they visited, and all the other things in the world.

   The irritation continued during the hour-and-a-half bus ride, supper and breakfast times, coffee times, at the corridors and the hotel lobby. They monopolized the bus and the hotel. Other customers, I believe, were totally annoyed by them.

   They were nuisance; they were the enemy of peaceful society; they destroyed the quiet atmosphere. The merrier they were, the more irritated I became. I hated to get on the bus with them. I dreaded to eat supper in the dining room with them. I was unable to read a newspaper at the lobby.

   The trip over, I am so relieved. Without them, the world is filled with tranquility. I have got back on my feet.

None of them realized even a bit that I was so annoyed.

Damn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment